How To Protect and Strengthen Your Lungs In Autumn
The forest rustles
Alive with surrendering leaves
— Lao Xian
Fall is the time of year when the Lungs and immune system are working hard to help your body adapt to the changing weather.
Working together, your body’s organs are a networked system that receives, transforms and transmits energy. A balanced system is a healthy system, and in Autumn, you want to make sure that your Lungs get tuned-up. Oriental Medicine does that.
Lungs Are Most Sensitive In Autumn
The Lungs are the focal point of your body’s energy network in Autumn. So now is the time to do some very simple things that will protect your Lungs from the forces that cause cold and flu, by preparing them to deal with the dampness and cold that come with Autumn and Winter.
Five Ways To PROTECT Your Lungs
- Use a scarf or collar to cover the front and back of your neck when you go outside.
- Avoid drafts and wind.
- Wear a dust mask, or other cover, when working around dust, spores or other airborne contaminants.
- Use Chinese medical herb formulas, or other internal protection, to guard against colds, flu and other contagious illnesses.
- Be mindful of any intuitive insights you may have regarding your health.
Five Ways To STRENGTHEN Your Lungs
- Eat foods that nourish the Lungs. These include: daikon radish, lotus root, maiitake mushrooms, and Chinese herb formulas.
- Get enough sleep.
- Reduce and keep stress low. (Easier said than done ... but doable.)
- Pace yourself. Make sure to save some of your energy.
- Begin developing—or maintain—an inner practice like meditation or deep breathing to help your body relax and rejuvenate.
So, as the days continue to shorten and the nights get longer, remember to slow down to match the deepening of the seasonal energy.
Conserve and enjoy!