Healthy Eating: The Five Element Way—Phone Seminar: Session One
In this first of four 20-minute phone seminars on Healthy Eating—The Five Element Way, Kitty Bradshaw explains what ‘balance’ is, why it’s essential for improving and maintaining health, and how to achieve it through food choices.
Balanced Beet Soup
Here’s a simple, balanced recipe to try out that will help you get in touch with what a balanced Five Element meal tastes and feels like.
I encourage you to think about what you eat—become more aware of the ingredients in the meal and whether or not the tastes are balanced.
- 3-4 medium sized beets, scrubbed and diced (skin may be left on, if desired)
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 teaspoon oil, preferably unseasoned sesame oil or extra-virgin olive
- 4 cups of water
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 Tablespoon miso, medium salty type like brown rice miso (optional)
- 3-4 Beet greens (or other leafy greens — like chard or kale), washed and chopped
How To Prepare
- Put the diced beets in the water and bring to a simmer.
- While the water is heating, saute the diced shallot in oil over medium heat until transparent.
- Add shallot to simmering beets and water.
- Cook until beets are tender, about 10 minutes — fork tines pass through easily.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the beets and shallot to desired consistency.
- Add the chopped greens and simmer until tender about 5-10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and salt to taste. If using the miso, spoon out one ladle-full of hot liquid into a small bowl with miso and mix until it is a smooth paste.
- Stir miso paste into soup and serve.
Online Course With Kitty Bradshaw
Learn More About Healthy Eating—The Five Element Way
You can learn much more about combining foods into energetically balanced, healthy meals in our online course Healthy Eating the Five Element Way.
This easy-to-follow course offers: